Emergency, Hospitality/Leisure, News

Hotelier jailed over lack of emergency lighting

Inspectors from the South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue found that the hotel at that time did not have adequate emergency lighting, fire detectors or alarms.

A former hotelier is behind bars this week after admitting that his establishment lacked adequate emergency lighting and other fire safety equipment.

Amandeep Sandhu – with an address in Turlands Close in Coventry – was jailed for eight months for breaches of fire safety laws at the Cutlers Hotel in Sheffield city centre, a business he no longer owns.

Sandhu was prosecuted by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue following a number of fire safety inspections in which inspectors found that the hotel at that time did not have adequate emergency lighting, fire detectors or alarms.

The inspectors found that Sandhu had failed to carry out a proper fire risk assessment and failed to arrange suitable training for the hotel’s employees.

Steve Helps of the South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, told local newspaper The Star: ‘We always try to work positively with businesses to comply with fire safety regulation, but this case is a stark reminder of the consequences of failing to comply with those laws. Had a fire broken out in these premises then there can be little doubt that lives would have been lost. The sentence handed down by the judge should serve as a warning to any business of how seriously breaches of fire safety law are taken.’

The hotel has since been taken over by the Saxon Hotels group, which has completed refurbished the building and installed all the necessary emergency lighting and fire safety equipment. The hotel now has full fire safety approval. 

In a statement, a spokeswoman for Saxon Hotels said: ‘We would like to point out that Saxon Hotels has no connection at all to the previous owner. Saxon Hotels takes guest safety seriously and after the purchase we undertook an extensive refurbishment and upgrading of the historic city centre hotel which included all aspects of fire and safety systems. 

‘We received full approval from the fire services and all other regulatory authorities in order to operate the renovated hotel and we re-opened in September 2015. We are proud to have restored this historic city centre hotel to its former glory and to be welcoming guests from across the world to stay with us and enjoy the city of Sheffield.’


  • The Emergency Lighting conference, organised by Lux, takes place on Wednesday 28 June 2017 in central London. Places are free to those with responsibility for the specification and management of emergency lighting networks. Register for your place at www.emergencylightingconference.com